Becoming a Certified Coach
Certified Coaches and adult leaders are instrumental in delivering S.A.F.E. Programs on both the county and state level. If you are interested in becoming a certified coach and volunteer for your local 4-H program, contact your local county Extension office. Contact information for local Extension Office can be found here. To become a certified coach, you must:
- Meet the volunteer screening requirements of the University of Georgia which includes filling out an application with the local county office, submitting references and undergoing a background check conducted by the University.
- Volunteers must also complete Chaperone Training if they plan to be the leader of a group or accompany youth on overnight trips. Chaperone Training is completed during the State SAFE Certified Coaches trainings.
- To lead SAFE (Shooting Sports Programs) leaders must attend a Certified Coaches Training. These are held three times a year at Rock Eagle 4-H Center (Friday Evening-Sunday Morning). Interested adult leaders that would like to work with SAFE programs are registered for the state level trainings through their county offices.
Certified Coaches Trainings
Certified Coaches Trainings are held at various times during the year. The trainings are designed to help coaches establish and conduct 4-H youth development programs related to Target Sports. Training consists of 8 hours of discipline training (Archery, Pistol, Rifle or Shotgun) and 6 hours of youth development training that includes information on working with youth, chartering your 4-H Club and Risk Management. Trainings are held in the Fall and Winter each year.
Shotgun Coaches Training
March 1-2, 2014
Certified Coaches Database
A certified coaches listservs have been established to help provide coaches and county staff with information related to 4-H events, policies, and event rules. The listserv are private lists and all messages posted are approved by the 4-H S.A.F.E. Coordinator. Certified coaches and county staff may join or leave the listservs at anytime by going to the following links:
Archery Coaches Listserv
Pistol Coaches Listserv
Rifle Coaches Listserv
Shotgun Coaches Listserv
To Subscribe: enter your email address and in the Name Field enter your First Name, Last Name and County Name (ie: John Doe Clarke) then select the Join the List Button. No other information is required. A conformation email will be sent to you in order to join the list. You will need to click on the supplied link in the email to join the list.
To Unsubscribe: enter your email address where you receive list serve postings and select the "Leave the list Button." No other information is required. A confirmation email will be sent to you. You will need to click on the supplied link in the email to be removed from the list.
Trouble Shooting: Failure to receive postings from the SAFE Coaches listserv is most often due to two reasons:
- After registering, if you do not receive messages from the listserv, your email provider may be filtering posting from the list. To insure that you receive postings, you may need to change settings in your email client or with your email provider to allow messages from "@listserv.uga.edu"
- If you do are no longer receiving email from the SAFE Coaches listserv, you may have been automatically been removed due to delivery failures. After 5 failed attempts, email addresses are automatically removed by system. This is most often caused by either changes in email addresses or full inboxes. To begin receiving postings again, you will need to rejoin the list.